Monday, February 18, 2008

Sunday Veggie Dinner

I've decided that, when I have time, I should use this space as an informal "food diary" just to keep track of recipes we've tried and meals we've made. Archivally useful for me; potentially boring for you.

In any case, here is a first entry:
Last night P made his best latkes ever (served with sour cream and Gravenstein applesauce made of, you guessed it, apples and nothing else - isn't the simple food movement wonderful?) from the recent Gourmet recipe (12/07) and I decided we needed vegetables to go with them. Taking a page out of Mom's book - lots of different veggies, each cooked separately and presented for colour - we fried up some red chard (I'd forgotten, since we use rainbow so often, that it is red, red, red - almost like beets!) with onion (G 11/07) and I sauced some baby carrots with butter, mustard and sugar, which was really tasty (G 12/07).

Tonight I am going to make a pinto-bean chili with our Oaxacan mole rojo (G 11/07), served over garlicky mashed potatoes and parsnips (G 11/07); tomorrow we are taking leftover coconut flan to S's with a movie (Wings of Desire) and the makings for an Alice Waters salsa verde over thick spaghetti. He's providing wine, good parmigiano and hot-and-sour soup for appys. Very fusiony!

No comments: